Located on Garfield Blvd just across from the Green Line and west of beautiful Washington Park, Currency Exchange Cafe and BING Reading Room are the perfect venues for private and semi-private events. The spaces are the brainchild of Theaster Gates, community builder and one of our city's most acclaimed contemporary artists, and is part of Mr. Gates’ broad commitment to supporting the proliferation of arts and culture on the south side of Chicago.
As a nod to both the former use of the space and the free exchange of ideas that happens both in artistic and community collaboration, Gates created space that facilitates an exchange of true currency – intellectual and cultural contemplation. In his unmistakable artistic style, Gates fully renovated the site of the defunct “Write-on Currency Exchange” and transformed the 2,500 square foot site into a beautiful synergy of vintage and industrial aesthetics with a modern touch.
Currency Exchange currently offers space after 5PM in the cafe.
· up to 65 for a sit-down meal
· up to 100 for a standing cocktail party
· Customizable food and beverage menus
· Wine, beer, and specialty cocktails
· Friendly and experienced staff
· Ample street parking
· Complete customization: A/V, floral, rentals (including Gates’ Soulware)
· Perfect for weddings, retreats, brunch, afternoon tea, happy hours, board meetings, showers, rehearsal dinners, alumni functions, business meetings, holiday functions